Assistant Director of Strategic Communications
Assistant Director of Strategic Communications
Office of Marketing & communications
The University of New Haven, founded on the Yale campus in 1920, is a private, coeducational university that has been recognized by The Princeton Review and U.S. News & World Report for academic excellence. Located between New York City and Boston in the shoreline city of West Haven, the University is a diverse and vibrant community of nearly 8,800 students from across the globe.
Over the last decade, the University has completed more than $300 million in major capital projects while launching 26 new academic programs. The University has also added campuses in Tuscany, Italy, and Orange, Conn.
For more background on the University of New Haven please visit: www.newhaven.edu
The University of New Haven: Campus tour given by students and an overview message from Chancellor Steve Kaplan.
The Office of Marketing and Communications at the University of New Haven is seeking applications for the newly created position of Assistant Director of Strategic Communications. This person will play a central role as part of the digital content and media relations team, shaping new, innovative, and measurable communications strategies that are designed to enhance the visibility and awareness of the University, its key programs and senior leaders, and what differentiates the University in a highly competitive higher education marketplace. This individual will be an expert communicator, with experience in executive communications, media relations, storytelling and digital/multimedia communications.
- Writing and supporting strategic communications (under the direction of the Director of Communications and Public Relations)
- Speeches/talking points
- Op-eds and thought pieces
- Executive-level University-wide communications
- Overseeing the strategic development and writing of communications related to key University priorities, such as the strategic plan and diversity, equity, inclusion, access, and belonging (DEIAB) initiatives
- Pursuing placements in national media with a focus on higher education-specific publications that feature the University’s senior leaders and/or tell the story of the University and our signature programs
- Providing editorial and communication support for major campus events including Commencement and Convocation, among others
- Assisting with crisis communications and social media monitoring, as needed
- Engaging regularly with faculty and students to cultivate relationships and identify content opportunities.
- Collaborating with members of the content team to develop new ways to promote and tell the story of the University and our community members
- Other duties and responsibilities as assigned by the Director of Communications and Public Relations, and the AVP in order to meet the marketing needs and mission of the University
- Preparing articles, press releases, and other content for dissemination to the media
- Creating opportunities to collaborate with professors, individual students, and classes to feature student-created work across the University’s website and social media channels
- Establishing new ways to repurpose content created across the website and social media as well as earned media to maximize the impact of this material in reaching strategic goals
- Developing and pursuing new ideas for social media and website content as well as strategies that create new media exposure for University leadership and signature programs
- Working closely with Director of Communications and Media Relations; Digital Content Producer; and Media Relations Coordinator to implement a comprehensive editorial calendar and measure KPIs of created content
- Help with marketing and communications department projects and goals as needed
- Provide support to student workers as needed
- Support overall institutional goals by serving on university committees as needed
- Perform other duties as assigned
QUALIFICATIONS, KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, ABILITIES:
- Must be an effective writer, editor, storyteller, interviewer, and collaborator
- Experience in corporate or strategic communications, writing content, creating and executing media relations strategies, and providing crisis communications counsel to organization leaders.
- Knowledge of digital communications, social media, and multimedia content
- Bachelor’s degree from an accredited college/university in a related field of study such as communications, public relations, journalism, writing, English and at least three years of experience.
- Ability to travel on behalf of the University
- Valid driver’s license
- Fully vaccinated
University of New Haven Diversity, Equity, Inclusion, and Belonging Vision
The University of New Haven is an Equal Opportunity Employer and a diverse institution which celebrates, respects, and values individuals of all social identities. We believe that as members of the university community, our socio‐cultural differences ignite intellectual growth and foster a culture of understanding that embraces our ever‐changing society.
HOW TO APPLY:
If you have the qualifications we are looking for and are interested in working for an institution where the experience of learning is both personal and pragmatic and one that is guided by a distinguished faculty who care deeply about individual student success, we want to hear from you! Please submit a cover letter, resume, and three references, all of which will remain confidential, through this link: http://apply.interfolio.com/122151
If you have any issues with this submittal, please contact us at HRDept@newhaven.edu