Video ProducerThe Miami Herald
BILINGUAL VIDEO PRODUCER
We’re looking for an experienced bilingual digital video producer to help the Miami Herald and el Nuevo Herald build a major component of our future. This is an editorial position based in the Miami newsroom focused on delivering video content to our audience across multiple platforms in both English and Spanish.
This individual will be required to aggressively search, aggregate and seek permission for digital video content from third-party sources around the web - in accordance with the news of the day. The goal is to supplement our original video offerings through daily aggregation. Video producers play an important role, working closely with newsroom colleagues to ensure that each story is well-represented with video. A strong sense of news judgment and the ability to quickly produce high-quality video is required. We will measure the success of this role through growth in video views.
- Aggressively curate and produce third-party video for placement within our stories and on social media.
- Edit, produce and place video in related stories and social platforms.
- Write short stories when necessary to accompany videos.
- Leverage digital tools and social media to find newsworthy video to aggregate.
- Closely work with McClatchy's central video team in D.C. on daily audience possibilities for video.
- Provide guidance on aggregation best-practices to share with newsroom colleagues.
- Pay close attention daily to real-time analytics to determine video possibilities.
- Working with software to convert multiple file formats, codecs and sharing sites (ftp, dropbox, etc.)
- Generate ideas for videos that appeal across platforms for multiple audiences.
- Pitch McClatchy video stories to relevant third-parties for embed, social, promotional consideration.
Skills Needed: Fully bilingual in English and Spanish, both verbally and in writing.
Strong video editing ability and storytelling a must. Excellent interpersonal, problem solving, and team player skills required. Leadership, strategic thinking experience and the ability to work across a broad-section of colleagues essential. Visual sensibility and experience contributing to interactive and multimedia work, with creative concepts and implementation. Reliable news judgment, advanced communication skills needed. A deeply-connected professional network is important. A vision of future audience trends and digital media important.
Personal Attributes: Energy, flexibility, and online smarts. The ability to monitor a vast amount of information for a wide audience, matched with discerning judgment. Skill to work well with a variety of editors and staff at all levels within a networked video-focused team. Aptitude for thinking big, working wisely and quickly iterating.
Education: College degree required.
Special Training: Ability to edit video using Adobe Premiere Pro or Final Cut X. Ability to use Adobe After Effects and Audition a plus. Extensive background in journalism, video and online media preferred.
Experience: Minimum of two years digital journalism experience. Familiarity with platforms such as Storyful, Chartbeat and CrowdTangle a plus.
This position will be based in Miami and will report to Visuals Editor Orlando Mellado. Some travel may be required.