Senior Claim Specialist
- Who May Apply: Open to all qualified job seekers
- Date Posted: 06/03/2022
- Closing Date: 06/23/2022
- Hiring Agency/Seniority Unit: Administration Dept / Administration-MAPE
- Division/Unit: Property & Casualty
- Work Shift/Work Hours: Day Shift
- Days of Work:Monday-Friday
- Travel Required:Yes
- Salary Range: $24.63 - $36.12/hourly; $51,427 - $75,418/annually
- Job Class Option: Claims Management
- Classified Status: Classified
- Bargaining Unit/Union: 214 - MN Assoc of Professional Empl/MAPE
- FLSA Status: Exempt - Administrative
- Connect 700 Program Eligible: Yes
This position exists to support the operations of the Risk Management Division by performing all aspects of the financial and administrative duties related to adjusting, managing, and monitoring various types of property and casualty losses and claims, including claims litigation management. Additionally, the position seeks to maximize loss recovery through subrogation and salvage.
- Review incident reports, claim and demand forms, verify accuracy of information and appropriate type of claim, and verify coverage so that the claims process is conducted properly, and the assets of the Fund are protected.
- Investigate claims to determine liability, determine a judgement on bodily injury, and negotiate a resolution to ensure that claim handling meets division guidelines and protects the states assets.
- Work with the division’s third-party administrator to ensure assigned claims are properly adjusted to protect the assets of the fund.
- Research and analyze current tort claim law, court decisions, and current and past structure of underwriting programs and division policies.
- Three (3) years of professional experience working with legal principles, tort claims statutes, governmental immunities, trial court decisions and jurisdictional issues, or other closely related experience. A bachelor’s degree may substitute for one year of professional experience.
- Strong communication skills to accurately express relevant issues to claimants and varied clientele.
- Ability to be self-direct in determining and prioritizing time to successfully handle an active caseload.
- Knowledge of medical terminology to determine the nature of injury and the relatedness and reasonableness of treatment.
- Ability to handle claims expeditiously to mitigate all costs that could be associated with the claim.
- Ability to work independently to assess the needs of the agencies in terms of legal issues and advise them on their rights and responsibilities.
- Ability to balance the demands of the claimants, attorneys, and state agencies.
- Proficiency with Microsoft Office Software (e.g., Outlook, Word, Excel).
- Five (5) years of professional experience working with legal principles, tort claims statutes, governmental immunities, trial court decisions and jurisdictional issues, or other closely related experience. A bachelor’s degree may substitute for one year of professional experience.
- Associate in Claims and/or other designation(s) from The Institutes.
- Previous experience with managing property and casualty losses and claims.
- Knowledge of accident reports, police reports, diagrams, and photographs to address potential allegations.
Successful applicants must pass a criminal background check through American Databank and employment reference checks.
Why Work For Us
GREAT BENEFITS PACKAGE! The State of Minnesota offers a comprehensive benefits package including low cost medical and dental insurance, employer paid life insurance, short and long term disability, pre-tax flexible spending accounts, retirement plan, tax-deferred compensation, generous vacation and sick leave, and 11 paid holidays each year.
Our differences make us stronger and leveraging them helps us create a workforce where everyone can thrive. The State of Minnesota is an equal opportunity employer. We are committed to embedding diversity, equity, inclusion, and accessibility at our workplace. We do this by developing strong leaders and advocates, increasing cultural competence and understanding among all employees, and removing institutional barriers and attitudes that prevent employees from advancing as far as their talents will take them. We prohibit discrimination and harassment of any kind based on race, color, creed, religion, national origin, sex (including pregnancy, childbirth and related medical conditions), marital status, familial status, receipt of public assistance, membership or activity in a local human rights commission, disability, genetic information, sexual orientation, gender expression, gender identity, or age.
How to Apply
Applicants must apply to the MN Careers website http://www.mn.gov/careers Job ID 56343. Applications not submitted through the Careers site will not be accepted.
If you have questions about applying for jobs, contact the job information line at 651-259-3637.
AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER
The State of Minnesota is an equal opportunity, affirmative action, and veteran-friendly employer. We are committed to providing culturally responsive services to all Minnesotans. The State of Minnesota recognizes that a diverse workforce is essential and strongly encourages qualified women, minorities, individuals with disabilities, and veterans to apply.
We will make reasonable accommodations to all qualified applicants with disabilities. If you are an individual with a disability who needs assistance or cannot access the online job application system, please contact the job information line at 651-259-3637 or email firstname.lastname@example.org. Please indicate what assistance you need.