Labor Relations SpecialistMcClatchy
McClatchy is looking for an accomplished Labor Relations Specialist to join its People (HR) Team.
McClatchy, a national leader in digital media, is growing rapidly in the digital space and delivering award-winning journalism in innovative ways. We are experiencing the most transformative period in our history.
Come Join McClatchy – a place where you have a voice and the ability to impact our future!
Click here to learn a little bit about us: McClatchy
The Labor Relations Specialist administers and negotiates collective bargaining agreements on behalf of the local management team that are consistent with the mission and values of McClatchy. This person acts as the primary liaison between local management and the union, working with outside counsel and the VP of Total Rewards, as part of the company’s negotiation team. They are a resource for local senior leadership and partners with their management team.
Location: This position is located in our Miami Herald office, in Doral FL
- Advise management and HR personnel on labor related matters
- Research and draft company proposals and counter proposals for labor negotiations, while carefully analyzing and evaluating proposal costs
- Resolve contract related disputes and lead escalated grievance resolution sessions on behalf of the Company
- Bachelor’s degree in Human Resources, Labor Relations, Business, or a related field.
- 5+ years related experience desired WITH a minimum of 2 years prior experience negotiating and writing labor contracts.
- A strategist capable of both the development and execution of labor relations strategy, with strong negotiation skills.
- Seasoned, high-energy and self-motivated leader, doer and team player with demonstrated understanding of corporate business models and practices.
- Proven ability to lead through influence, flexibility and diplomacy.
- Excellent writing, presentation and oral communication skills with strong business acumen and ability to deliver messages that drive to agreement.
- Demonstrated ability to make sound business judgments in a complex, fast-paced environment.
- Outstanding time management and organization abilities.
- Ability to build credibility and trust by demonstrating high ethical standards.
- Extreme discretion, as work often involves confidential and sensitive information.
- Knowledge of online communication and social media.
- Ability to interact effectively with employees, senior-level management and external union stakeholders.
- Graduate training in a human resources-related discipline coupled with a S/PHR and/or SHRM-SCP or its equivalent, is highly desirable.
- Prior experience in both traditional and interest-based negotiations preferred.
- Generalist background with broad knowledge of employment, organizational planning, employee relations, performance management, compensation management, training and development also desired.
- Bilingual – English/Spanish in written and verbal communication skills is highly desirable
- Vision and strategic thinking: Collaboratively sets and champions a clear future direction in labor relations. Addresses issues to sustain competitive edge and maintain market dominance. Anticipates needs and priorities.
- Change/Entrepreneurship: Champions innovation and encourages new ideas. Builds momentum to get things done by communicating clearly and consistently. Acts decisively. Helps others to successfully manage organizational change. Recognizes successes and informed risk-taking.
- Relationship management and collaboration: Understands others’ underlying concerns, emotions and feelings. Uses strong negotiating skills and adaptability to foster successful outcomes. Manages disagreements and conflicts, resolving issues between management and the union.
- Bench strength: Encourages and inspires the development and long-term growth of others. Counsels and trains managers regarding contract related issues, grievances and disciplinary procedures. Conveys high expectations, gives candid and objective feedback, offers support and advocacy.