Marketing and Graphic Design Specialist
Marketing and Graphic Design Specialist
George Mason University Business Services is seeking a highly motivated, innovative and ambitious individual to join the team as Marketing and Graphic Design Specialist. This position reports directly to the Associate Director of Marketing and Communications.
George Mason University has a strong institutional commitment to the achievement of excellence and diversity among its faculty and staff, and strongly encourages candidates to apply who will enrich Mason’s academic and culturally inclusive environment.
- Design print and electronic marketing materials such as brochures, flyers and postcards, email graphics, social media graphics, or logos;
- Generate content and graphics that builds meaningful connections and encourages interest in operational, service, and retail units;
- Enhance the visual presentation of the websites with creative graphic designs within brand standards;
- Collaborate with marketing team and units to complete custom design requests and identify design solutions and concepts using brand guidelines;
- Maintain a dashboard that clearly demonstrates project progress and deliverable timelines;
- Work collaboratively with all necessary university staff, student staff, vendors, partners, etc.;
- Assist in management of Operations and Business Services (shopMason + WeAreMason) social media channels including Facebook, Instagram, Twitter, Pinterest and TikTok;
- Create content schedule, post content, and collaborate with Operations and Business Services division marketing and programming staff on content ideas;
- Monitor Operations and Business Services operational, retail and service units social media (e.g. Mason Dining, Student Centers, Parking and Transportation) and share, retweet, amplify their content on shopMason channels;
- Provide administrative support to the Patriot Perks program (ie. processing registrations, communicating with businesses, etc.);
- Provide administrative support to the trademark licensing program (i.e. processing takedown requests of unlicensed product, information gathering of potential trademark infringement, etc.); and
- Collaborate with Executive Director of Business Partnerships and Licensing, Associate Director of Marketing and Communications, Web and Digital Content Manager, and unit marketing teams on various department projects and initiatives.
- Additional tasks may include drafting press releases, proofreading and coordinating the distribution of marketing materials, and assisting with event outreach activities, among others;
- Research promotional products and assist in the procurement process;
- Assist with the management of the shopMason brand influencer program;
- Assist the marketing team and other staff with ongoing programs/events, including but not limited to staffing events and coordination assistance;
- Provide staff support for outreach events, occasionally during evenings and weekends;
- Coordinate and manage social media and other giveaway engagement activities;
- Manage marketing email account and coordinate response and follow-up as appropriate;
- Assist with updating content on Operations and Business Services websites using WordPress;
- Create processing forms using JotForms, WORD, or other resources;
- Develop new forms, as needed, to facilitate the intake of information and data;
- Ensure current and relevant graphics and promotions are being displayed on websites and social media platforms, including providing recommendations to unit liaisons on unit-managed platforms;
- Participates in departmental staff meetings; and
- Performs various other dsuties as required.
- Bachelor’s degree in art and visual technology, graphic design, English, journalism, communication, or related field, or an equivalent combination of education and experience with demonstrated relevant work experience;
- Some (generally two (2)+ years’) experience with demonstrated success in graphic design, and/or related fields strongly preferred;
- Relevant graphic design and marketing work experience, preferably in a university setting;
- Experience using social media while maintaining an engaging, interactive and creative presence;
- Proficient knowledge of Adobe Creative Cloud Suite and project management tools required; and
- Proficient in Microsoft Office; working knowledge of website content-management systems (WordPress preferred); and familiarity with contact databases and email campaigns a strong advantage.
Working knowledge of videography and photography;
- Flexibility; proven ability to work on a team; outstanding organization and time-management skills; exacting attention to detail;
- Demonstrated interpersonal, written, and verbal communication and public presentation skills;
- Comfort working directly with clients on creating marketing campaigns and promotions; and
- Demonstration of a common knowledge or understanding of cultural differences.
Special Instructions to Applicants
For full consideration, applicants must apply for position number 09732z at https://jobs.gmu.edu/; complete and submit the online application; and upload a cover letter, resume, and a list of three professional references with contact information.
George Mason University is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer, committed to promoting inclusion and equity in its community. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, disability or veteran status, or any characteristic protected by law.