George Mason University, Office of Technology Transfer (OTT), is currently seeking a highly motivated Licensing Associate. This position reports directly to the Director of OTT and will assist in all aspects of protecting and commercializing new technologies developed at GMU. This position manages a docket of technologies, builds faculty relationships, performs technology assessments, and develops licenses.
The Office of Technology Transfer is responsible for protecting intellectual property (IP) rights of inventions by faculty, researchers, and students at GMU. OTT also accelerates and facilitates the commercialization of university research and technology.
George Mason University has a strong institutional commitment to the achievement of excellence and diversity among its faculty and staff, and strongly encourages candidates to apply who will enrich Mason’s academic and culturally inclusive environment.
- Promote the mission and business of OTT by developing strong and positive relationships with GMU faculty and students; Legal Counsel, prospective and actual licensees, and colleagues;
- Participate in university outreach to educate inventors about IP and commercialization;
- Solicit and evaluate invention disclosures for patentability and commercial potential;
- With concurrence of the Director, authorize patent applications; facilitate the communication between patent attorneys and inventors during the application and prosecution of patents;
- Formulate and implement IP management, copyrights and licensing strategies;
- Develop strategies/plans for marketing inventions and technologies to industry;
- Identify potential commercial applications and business partners for GMU inventions;
- Communicate industry feedback to faculty as needed;
- Draft, negotiate and execute licenses, and other related contracts such as confidentiality agreement, material transfer agreement, joint invention agreement, research collaboration agreement and license agreement;
- Provide continuous management of existing licensing agreements for performance, compliance, and payment of associated fees;
- Work collaboratively across various stakeholders within the University; and
- Perform other duties within the scope of the position, as required by OTT and/or the University.
- Master’s degree in a field applicable to technology transfer; or equivalent combination of education and experience;
- Working knowledge of intellectual property and technology;
- Ability to understand complex technology and perform technical feasibility, competitive landscape analysis and market analyses;
- Ability to handle a wide variety of projects simultaneously to meet deadlines and be productive within a dynamic and ever-changing environment;
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with management, peers, academics, and other professionals, including external agencies, with varied interests and perspectives;
- Self-starter with ability to work independently as well as in a team is necessary;
- Entrepreneurial, communication and interpersonal skills are critical for success in this position; and
- Have a strong orientation toward customer service.
- Advanced degree, preferably with expertise in sustainability, life science, physical science, or related field;
- Technology transfer experience;
- Patent Agent Registration;
- An MBA;
- Experience in technology evaluation, especially in research and educational institution;
- Experience in drafting and negotiating license agreements within a university/non-profit institution;
- Experience in entrepreneurship;
- Experience in intellectual property processes – including Patents, Copyrights, Trademarks, Trade Secrets;
- Experience in business communications; and
- Experience working collaboratively with researchers or technical staff in intellectual property matters.
Special Instructions to Applicants:
For full consideration, applicants must apply at https://jobs.gmu.edu/; complete and submit the online application; and upload a cover letter, resume, and a list of three professional references with contact information.
George Mason University is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer, committed to promoting inclusion and equity in its community. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, disability or veteran status, or any characteristic protected by law.