Human Resource Generalist
Human Resource Generalist
Danville Community College developed from two institutions, Danville Technical Institute and the Danville Division of Virginia Polytechnic Institute opened in 1936 as Danville Textile School, becoming Danville Technical Institute just after World War II. The Danville Division of Virginia Polytechnic Institute first began as an engineering division in 1946, and was later expanded to include the first two years of course work for all engineering, business administration, liberal arts, and science majors. Beginning in the summer of 1966, all programs taught by Danville Technical Institute were brought under the Virginia Department of Community Colleges. Effective July 1, 1968, the Danville Division of Virginia Polytechnic Institute merged with the existing community college providing the comprehensive programs now offered.
Danville Community College seeks an organized and customer service-oriented professional to work within a fast-paced and engaging office as the Human Resource Generalist. Reporting to the Associate Vice President of Human Resources, the HR Generalist is responsible for performing a variety of critical Human Resources functions and tasks to support the operations of a busy HR department and a dynamic community college. The successful candidate will manage systems and processes related to onboarding and off-boarding of employees, employee benefits, coordinate employee recognition and awards programs, and actively engage in college-wide meetings and events. In addition, this role provides administrative support to the AVP of Human Resources and supports the administrative operations of the Human Resources office. The ideal candidate will be a reliable and proactive team-player will who perform these duties with the utmost professionalism, confidentiality and accuracy.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
Employee Onboarding, Off-boarding and Benefits Administration
- Manages the full cycle new employee and transfer process through the Avature onboarding/offboarding system, ensuring the successful on-boarding of hires by reviewing IDs and other onboarding documents, completing E-Verify cases. Careful monitoring of employee details, personal data, and enrollment in benefits and Cardinal HCM. Coordinates processes with the VCCS Shared Services Center, VRS and DHRM as needed.
- Schedules new employee orientations and prepares related materials and processes and other related logistics such as employee IDs and IT access. Communicates with stakeholders throughout the college to ensure a seamless and welcoming onboarding and orientation experience.
- Utilizes Avature to facilitate the full cycle employee separation/transfer process, effectively and promptly coordinating with managers, IT and other key personnel to ensure timely and accurate separation process.
- Closely monitors new, changing and terminating benefits, ensuring information is updated and processed in all related systems and processes, coordinates with payroll. Leads FBMC processing, Cardinal user access process, and annual health insurance open enrollment. Engage with and answer related employee questions.
- Performs monthly and periodic reporting and employee list updates as requested, such as the organization chart and online employee directory.
AVP HR Support & Special Projects
- Serves as trusted administrative support to the AVP of Human Resources to assist in calendar/schedule management; documenting, organizing, tracking and filing sensitive HR matters and records, including benefits processes. Transcribes, maintains and files meeting notes and agendas. Sensitive information is organized and promptly filed/recorded.
- Schedules meetings and reserve rooms for HR meetings, orientations, committee meetings, and events. Fax, email, mail correspondence as requested. Coordinates and tracks travel, lodging and reimbursements.
- Provides support for special/annual projects, large state-wide reports, initiatives and committees by collecting and analyzing data, creating reports, and performing data entry.
HR Office Coordination
- Provides and ensures consistent HR office coverage, supplies, and office support for two HR Suites, coordinating team schedules during busy periods. Welcomes all HR office visitors, answer questions, provides direction to the appropriate HR team member or resource.
- Regularly coordinates and communicates with other departments to ensure effective HR office operations.
- Manage personnel files and lead file reorganization and centralization project. Ensure files are up to date and organized at all times. Coordinate I9 update process.
- Contributes to the overall success of the Office of Human Resources by performing other related duties and responsibilities as assigned by the AVP of HR, maintaining high levels of accuracy, a professional demeanor and appropriate levels of confidentiality, and providing excellent customer service.
Campus and Employee Engagement
- Coordinates employee engagement programs, such as employee milestones, rewards and recognitions, coordinates with campus departments as needed.
- Schedules visits from benefit providers and other special guests for on-campus events several times a year or as needed.
- Attends department, college-wide and other meetings as requested; Supports campus events and initiatives.
- Contributes to a work environment that encourages knowledge of, respect for, and development of skills to engage with a variety of cultures and backgrounds.
- Adheres to all federal, state, VCCS, SSC and DCC policies and procedures.
- Training or experience in Human Resources, Business, Psychology, Communications, or a related field.
- Experience in a high-volume, customer-focused work environment.
- Considerable experience with Microsoft Office applications including Word, Excel, Outlook and PowerPoint.
- Ability to communicate effectively and professionally, both verbally and in-writing with internal and external customers, at all levels.
- Demonstrated ability to work in a fast paced, deadline driven and highly visible environment.
- Ability to perform work consistently with accuracy and close attention to detail.
- Ability to research and resolve complex issues; prioritize and manage multiple tasks.
- Ability to efficiently and accurately enter, review and research employee data.
- Ability to read analyze, and interpret agency policies, technical procedures, training manuals, and governmental regulations.
- Working knowledge of the principles and practices of human resources management, including federal and state laws pertaining to human resources.
- Knowledge of office practices, procedures, and office equipment. Working knowledge of manual and automated filing systems.
- Ability to establish and maintain effective and harmonious work relations with faculty, staff, students and the general public.
- Ability to work independently and collaboratively as part of a high performing team.
- Ability to provide the highest level of service with strong attention to details and prioritization skills.
- Excellent judgment and discretion in handling confidential and sensitive issues and information.
- Excellent analytical and critical thinking skills and ability to make independent decisions.
- Prior experience administering state employee benefits programs (such as health insurance, retirement, VSDP, and E-Verify).
- Prior work experience in an educational environment or state government, such as VCCS, DHRM.
- Experience with Human Resources Management Systems (such as PeopleSoft, HCM, HRMS, HRIS, ADP, Workday, Cardinal, PeopleAdmin, ChromeRiver) etc.
- Professional certification in Human Resources (Ex. PHR, SPHR, SHRM-CP, SHRM-SCP)
Go to https://jobs.vccs.edu/postings/67048 to view the full job posting and/or to apply.
The Virginia Community College System, an EEO employer, welcomes applications from people of all backgrounds and recognizes the benefits of a diverse workforce. Therefore, the VCCS is committed to providing a work environment free of discrimination and harassment. Employment decisions are based on business needs, job requirements and individual qualifications. We prohibit discrimination and harassment on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, sexual orientation, mental or physical disabilities, political affiliation, veteran status, gender identity, or other non-merit factors.